Japan Rail Pass
IMPORTANT! Please ensure you are eligible to use the Japan Rail Pass before you travel to Japan. Click here for further information.
Must be purchased before you travel to JapanThe Japan Rail pass enables unlimited use of the Japan Rail network for the pass duration. This provides visitors excellent value for money, in addition to simplifying the ticket buying process. Passes are available for travel in first class, known as “Green class” or second class known as “Ordinary class”. The pass is valid on all JR trains, whether they are local, express or the world-famous bullet trains (shinkansen) with only a few exceptions.
Is the Japan Rail Pass good value for money?The Japan Rail Pass can only be purchased outside of Japan for tourists visiting for sightseeing, or Japanese nationals with permanent residence abroad. You will see you can easily get your money’s worth of travelling with a 7-day ordinary pass:
|Narita Airport - Tokyo ('Narita Express' return ticket) =||JPY 5,640|
|Tokyo - Kyoto ('Hikari' return bullet train ticket) =||JPY 26,800|
|above total =||JPY 32,440|
|Japan Rail Pass 7 Days (Ordinary Class) =||JPY 29,110|
|Save 3,240 yen, and all other subsequent journeys on JR lines are 'free'|
Purchasing a Japan Rail PassPurchasing a Japan Rail Pass is a two step process:
- The Exchange Order must be purchased before departing for Japan. It is valid for 3 months from the date of issue.
- Upon arrival in Japan the exchange order must be exchanged for the Japan Rail Pass. This can be done at ticket offices in selected train stations, including at Narita Airport. You will have to show your passport and fill in a small form. For a list of stations at which you can do the exchange, please visit: Japan Rail Pass
Regional Japan Rail PassesIn addition to the original Japan Rail Pass covering the whole of Japan, there are now a number of regional passes available –
- Further information is available of the specific pass websites.
- The GBP prices for the various passes change regularly so please contact Jaltour for prices and further information.
- Please note – these regional passes are for non-Japanese nationals only.
Useful links and further information
- Prices are subject to change without notice.
- Children aged 6 - 11 years pay half the adult fare.
- Children under 5 travel for free, however they may not occupy a seat.
- If you do not change your Exchange Order for the Japan Rail Pass, a refund can be provided minus a £30.00 administration fee.